03 Aug Woodhouse Farm: Historical Architecture
The history of Woodhouse Farm:
Woodhouse Farm stands in an isolated position to the south of Kelvedon and the Blackwater valley. In the Middle Ages, this area of Boulder Clay plateau was extensively wooded, hence the name of the farm. The site may well have started as an assart, or woodland clearance and the farmhouse is located within a moat which is thought to have its origins in the 13th or 14th century.
Below: Detail from the 1634 map of Woodhouse Farm showing the house and moat (Essex Record Office)
The ownership of the farm changed hands 5 times between 1634 and 1883 with the farmhouse becoming listed in 1987.
Below: Woodhouse Farm on the 1848 map made for Fisher Unwin Pattison (Essex Record Office)